Translate

Powered by Blogger.

Friday, January 21, 2011

Oops! Wrong Twin!


***

[From my good friend Lee Vizer]

Most of you know I’m an identical twin, as are others at Green Hill: Phyllis P. and Betty F. It’s a special blessing, having been born with a best friend for life. Though we are known as Ellie and Lee (she’s Cantor Ellie Shaffer) – we will always be Eleanor and Leanore.

Twins are fascinating to most people, including to us ourselves. People often ask us whether we did mischievous things growing up. I admit a bit sadly that though we pulled an occasional mild prank on our boyfriends (like switching listeners in the middle of their phone sentences) we were such goody-goodys that, though we could have gotten away with murder, we generally played it straight. However, friends, family and acquaintances still got us mixed up, often to their great chagrin. Even our dogs couldn’t tell which was which!

At 79, we still dress alike, delighting in our twinhood and driving others nuts.

Two weeks ago, my husband Dick and I were at a holiday party hosted by the family of Ellie’s husband, Marty. Ellie and I were in full twin regalia. She was in the kitchen potchking around, and I was at the main table, standing up to facilitate the passing of food, while her Marty sat next to me. Suddenly, under the table, I felt a loving hand rubbing my leg.

It took me a split second to recognize his error, and when he saw my face as I turned to him, it took him less. “Lee!” he exclaimed, horrified. And then we both roared. He had never mixed us up before, but such a mistake! By now the whole table was roaring, and Marty and I, and Dick, who was seated on my right, were doubled over laughing. Marty’s 14-year-old grandson, so hysterical that he could hardly walk, dashed out to find Ellie to relate what happened. When Ellie came in we doubled over again, and she continued the joke. She sidled up to Dick, who affectionately rubbed her leg. I asked her, sexily, “Was it as good for you as it was for me?”

Everyone who was present there is still talking about it.

And Marty will never live that one down.

***
              

No comments: